Calming Signals used by dogs or puppies to:
- solve or avoid conflict
- show that they are friendly
- to keep peace
- to calm down human or dog aggression
List of Calming Signal:
- Looking Away
- Turning the Head
- Turning Away used when turning the head does not work.
- Slow Movements
- Sitting or Laying Down
- Play Bow
- Marking used to mark territory, used when a dog is stressed, used to calm another dog or human, it’s a social thing and the dogs are doing something together.
- Splitting Up used when a dog notices that two or more dogs are getting too assertive with their play.
- Doing Something Together
- Lifting a Paw this is not a common signal
- Wagging the Tail used when a dog is aroused or excited
Dog’s first use calming signals when they are born their first signal is yawning and by 6 to 8 weeks they are using all of their calming signals.